The Office of the University Architect provides a central resource for planning and design information on Capital Projects and major landscape initiatives. A Capital Budget Officer from financial services, acts as a central liaison for financial information, financing options, cost benefit comparisons, operational costs for Capital Projects. The following services are provided in coordination with the Office of Project Management in the Facilities Management Department:
- The preparation of total project budgets to ensure the full expense of each initiative is accurately projected.
- Studies and recommendations on the impact of proposed projects on operating budgets.
- The identification and monitoring of project funding sources on all Capital Projects.
Capital Projects are designed by consulting Architects providing fee based professional services to Duke University. The Office of the University Architect is responsible for coordinating with the Facilities Management Department the professional services provided by the Architect to ensure that Duke University receives the highest quality services, especially the design, for its projects. To facilitate this responsibility the following are provided:
- Program and Budget verification including the details on funding sources.
- Interface with University and City Approvals for design and zoning.
- Coordination and assistance to the University Architect with the architectural selection process and follow up design reviews.
- Assistance to the User in the design process by tracking decisions, meetings, expenses, and required approvals that may impact the project design.
- Assistance with project schedules and project “close out” including the transfer to occupancy and University maintenance/operations.
For information on Medical School and Health Systems projects, visit http://architect.duhs.duke.edu/.